We asked, you told us: Not many of you would buy the Galaxy Fold at full price
Foldables may be the future of the smartphone, but it’s going to take a while before they become affordable to the masses. Just about every confirmed foldable phone costs nearly $2,000. The Samsung Galaxy Fold costs $1,980, the Huawei Mate X is supposed to cost €2,229 ($2,448) when it comes to market, and Microsoft’s just-announced Surface Duo doesn’t even have a price yet.
That’s why we asked you if you’d buy the Galaxy Fold at full price, or if you’d buy it if it were available for closer to a “normal” flagship (~$1,000). I’m actually pretty surprised by the results.
How often do you make phone calls?
Out of 1,560 votes, just 7% of voters said they’d buy the Galaxy Fold at full price. A whopping 48% said they’d buy the device at “normal” flagship prices, while 40% said they’re not interested in the Galaxy Fold at all.
I’m surprised by that last number. I would have thought more Android Authority readers would at least be interested in buying such a futuristic device, but maybe those display issues hurt the Fold’s reputation more than I thought.
More posts about Samsung Galaxy Fold
Here are some of the best comments from last week’s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:
- Other: I can’t afford a normal flagship, not even an imaginary thousand dollar Fold.
- I’m not interested in it in its current state. While the unfolded functionality is great, the folded display is smaller than I’d like and the form factor awkward.
- I think paying $1000 for a phone is nuts, but for the Fold, I would consider it. Anything more is a nope.
- WISH SAMSUNG HAD TRADE IN OFFER TOWARDS THIS PHONE TO HELP CONSUMERS OFFSET PRICE. READY TO TRADE MY IPHONE 10 MAX FOR THE FOLD.
- When the device comes with a warning saying to baby it I think I’d skip it no matter the price.
- Nah, it’s too darn fragile. Besides I already think phones are getting too damn large as is. I’m happy with the current size iPhone 11 Pro and hope Apple doesn’t make that standard size any bigger. I never wanted an iPhone 7 Plus yet my iPhone X is already bigger than that original plus size but I’m actually ok with that size. Just no bigger please! If Apple made a foldable phone I wouldn’t buy it either.
That’s it for this week, everyone. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below!