Clash Royale update: Ding, dong, the witch is nerfed as season 5 kicks off!
Welcome to our Clash Royale update hub! We’ll be collecting all the official balance changes and updates for Clash Royale as they’re released by the Finnish giant Supercell.
If you’re a hardcore Clasher, be sure to bookmark this page to stay up-to-date on the latest buffs, nerfs, new game modes, and new cards for Clash Royale. Below you’ll find the most recent update, followed by a list of new cards from this season. Previous Clash Royale updates can be found at the end of the page.
Cycle your way through some of our other Clash Royale content:
- Everything you need to know about the Clash Royale League
- Five good Clash Royale decks showcased at the World Finals
- Five of the best Clash Royale decks straight from the pros
Clash Royale update: The latest
Clash Royale Season 5 update
Release date: November 4, 2019.
Season 5 is here, and it’s the Goblins’ turn to shine! The Great Goblin Feast has taken over the Legendary arena, giving it a complete festive makeover for the duration of Season 5. The latest Royale Pass also serves up new Goblin goodies, including a Goblin Hut-like tower skin and a new Dart Goblin emote.
The new season also brings with it a host of balance changes, mostly to nerf overperforming cards like the Witch. The most recent new troop card Elixir Golem is now available in chests, although it and its gooey offspring have had their health reduced by 10%. Executioner is still being tweaked to find a happy place in the meta, and the only (minor) buff this time around is to the Barbarian Barrel, for better or worse.
Check out the full list of changes on the official blog post!
Clash Royale: New cards
One of the secrets to Clash Royale’s success is the constant updates, changes, and new cards. A single new card can open up tons of great deck possibilities, and add some longevity to the title released way back in 2016. The most recently added cards and their subsequent buffs/nerfs from each Clash Royale update are listed below.
Splits into two Elixir Golemites when destroyed, which split into two sentient Blobs when defeated. A Blob gives your opponent one elixir when destroyed!
Release date: November 4, 2019.
- 3-Elixir rare troop card.
- Very high Hitpoints, further increased by golemites and blobs.
- Powerful pusher when combined with Clone spell.
- Be wary of counterpushes when defeated.
His Ranged Attack can pull enemies towards him, and pull himself to enemy buildings. He’s also mastered the ancient art of ‘Fish Slapping’.
Release date: July 1, 2019.
- 4-elixir legendary available in Hog Mountain or higher.
- His anchor pulls enemies towards him, even across lanes or the river.
- Hooked units have move and attack speed reduced by 35% for 2 seconds.
- Hitting a building with his anchor will pull Fisherman towards it.
When the Goblin Cage is destroyed, a Goblin Brawler is unleashed into the Arena! Goblin Brawler never skips leg day.
Release date: June 3, 2019.
- 4-elixir rare available in Spooky Town or higher.
- Building has low hitpoints and lasts just 15 seconds.
- When destroyed, spawns Goblin Brawler.
- Goblin Brawler is very fast and deals high damage, but with middling hitpoints.
Deals Damage per second to Troops and Crown Towers. Deals huge Building Damage! Does not affect flying units (it is an EARTHquake, after all).
Release date: April 15, 2019
- 4-elixir Rare available in Jungle Arena or higher.
- Works like Poison spell.
- Does not affect air troops.
- Deals 400% damage to buildings.
- Deals 100% damage to Princess and King Towers.
- Slows affected enemies.
Clash Royale update history
Clash Royale Season 4 update
Season 4 is here, and it’s going to be a spooky one. The latest Royale Pass features a number of Halloween-themed unlockables plus a few unique emotes. The Royal Arena has been reskinned to match the theme, and several new game modes are on the way.
Perhaps more significantly, a new card has been added to Clash Royale. Elixir Golem is a three-elixir troop card that explodes into two smaller Elixir Golemites, similar to the Golem. When the Elixir Golemites are defeated, they split again into two Elixir Blobs, each of which give your opponent one elixir when defeated. Use with caution!
Read more about the latest Clash Royale update over at the official patch notes.
Clash Royale September update overview
Release date: September 30
The Clash Royale September update landed at a bit of a strange time, but it brought with it tons of new ways to play Clash Royale. The 2v2 button has been replaced with the Party button, which still has 2v2 mode plus a host of other fun game modes. Even better, you won’t lose trophies when playing any party modes, but you’ll still gain crowns, victory gold, and complete quest objectives.
There aren’t any balance changes with the September update, but stayed tuned until next week when Season 4 launches. It’s slated to bring a new card, new arena, and a host of other Halloween themed goodies.
Check out the full patch notes over at the official Clash Royale website.
Clash Royale Season 3
Release date: September 2, 2019.
Season 3 is here in the latest Clash Royale update, and with it comes the return of the Legendary Arena for players with 4,000 trophies and above. There will be a new tower skin released, called The Fortress, which has floating rocks and a waterfall. It can be unlocked via the pass royale, along with an exclusive Princess emote.
As usual, the Season 3 update will also have a number of balance changes, including nerfs to the Lumberjack, Pekka, and Barbarian Barrel. The Fisherman received a small buff to his HP and anchor range, which could boost use rates of the newest Clash Royale card.
The Flood has ended, and the Royale Kingdom has returned to a sense of normality… or has it?! Let the Legendary Arena Battles commence!
Season 3 Pass Royale rewards
- Exclusive Season 3 Fortress Tower Skin & Emote
- 35 Pass Royale Reward Tiers to unlock
- 35 Free Reward Tiers to unlock
Season 3 Special Challenges will have new cards, chests and trade tokens to collect including
- Legendary Party
- Miner Draft (with new Miner Emote!)
- Bandit Dash!
- Night Witch Draft (with new Night Witch Emote!)
- Sudden Death
- Lumberjack Rage
Clash Royale Season 3 Update balance changes
Executioner – Rework
- Damage +82%
- Hitpoints -5%
- Range reduced (min 4.5 – 6.5 max) > (min 3 – 4.5 max)
- Hit Speed reduced 2.4sec > 2.5sec
- Faster Axe return time (1.5 sec > 1sec)
- Area Damage Radius: 0.8 > 1
- Area Damage Radius: 1.2 > 1.1
- Range: Long > Medium
- Goblin Brawler Speed: Very Fast > Fast
- Elixir Cost: 4 > 3
- Damage: -11%
Giant (Bug Fix)
- Giant incorrectly displayed Range Melee: Long on his card info. It now appears as Melee: Medium, which represents his actual range.
Trophy Road changes
The game has removed multiple choice cards for Season 3, and have replaced the guaranteed Fisherman with a Legendary Chest. Remember to collect your Trophy Road rewards for the new Season!
That’s it for our Clash Royale update hub. Be sure to bookmark this article, as we’ll update it over the next few weeks and months with the latest releases.