This week in Android: Google buys Fitbit, dark mode dangers, and more!
The big news this week was Google’s (or technically its parent company Alphabet’s) acquisition of Fitbit for $2.1 billion. It was first rumored earlier this week, then confirmed early Friday morning. The purchase makes a lot of sense for Google, since its Wear OS hardware hasn’t lived up to other lines like Pixel phones and Pixelbook chromebooks.
Huawei was once again in hot water this week, with the FCC preparing to vote on whether or not to punish US companies for using its network technology. The good news is that the Chinese giant has found a way around the ban on new phones with Google services, at least temporarily.
On the review side, we published our reviews of the dual-screened LG G8X, the Motorola Moto One Macro, the Red Magic 3S, and the budget Redmi Note 8. We also checked out the Huawei FreeBuds 3, the Apple AirPods Pro, the Beats Solo Pro, the updated Nvidia Shield TV, and Acer Chromebook 714.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- LG G8X ThinQ review: A more practical ‘folding’ phone –The LG G8X ThinQ may not be a true folding phone, but it is a less expensive and more practical than its competitors.
- Motorola One Macro review: Missing essentials — Is a near-stock Android build enough to overlook sub-par imaging performance and the not-so-great materials?
- Red Magic 3S review: The perfect gaming phone? — The Red Magic 3S offers high performance, a fast display, a big battery, and a built-in fan. Is it the perfect Gaming phone?
- Huawei FreeBuds 3 review: No more AirPods envy — Active noise cancelling, great sound quality, and a reasonable price: the Huawei FreeBuds 3 have a lot going on for them.
- 2019 Nvidia Shield TV review: The best Android TV box, again — Put simply, the new Nvidia Shield TV is the most affordable and impressive Android TV box you can get.
- Huawei Mate 30 Pro vs P20 Pro: Four generations of flagship photography later — The Huawei P20 Pro revolutionized mobile photography 18 months ago. Can it still compete?
- Making sense of the Alphabet-Fitbit acquisition — Alphabet buying Fitbit is (mostly) a good idea for everyone involved.
- How can Huawei release new phones with Google apps? — There is a way that Huawei can release new phones with Google apps, but it’s far from the perfect solution.
- Common phone scams you should be aware of — Scammers are finding novel ways to steal your money and identity. This is why we have created a list of common phone scams.
- Love dark mode? Here’s why you may still want to avoid it — Did you know there are actually serious downsides to switching your apps to dark mode?
Learn more on the Android Authority Podcast
This week on the podcast we were joined by Andru Edwards from the Geared Up podcast to discuss the Pixel 4, Google buying Fitbit, and Samsung losing its spot as the biggest Android OEM.
Want to receive the weekly podcast on your device? Subscribe using your favorite player below!
Who wants to win a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus?
This week, we’re giving away a brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus. Enter this week’s Sunday giveaway for your chance to win!
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.